Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Hospital, Round Two

Home sweet home!  Mom put out pink balloons (I've always wanted them) and flowers to announce Georgia's arrival.  We all look a bit disheveled and we were - all week.
Trying out the Bjorn - Christian's favorite way to transport a baby, not Georgia's.

This is not the maternity ward, but the cardiac floor.  It's kind of a long story.  I did not feel well all week and finally went to the ER because of chest pain, heartburn, a bad headache and swelling in my legs.  After my blood pressure spiked (I can't remember the numbers because they checked it every 5 minutes) and my heart rate dropped to 40 they did EKG's, ultrasounds on my legs, a CT scan, and even wheeled in the paddles to re-start my heart, just in case.  After two morphine doses, a magnesium shot in my IV, and what seemed like a slew of other meds, they finally sent me up to the cardiac floor for the next few days to be watched, poked, and "figured out" since nobody could decide what was wrong with me.  Since Christian was on the train back from a meeting in Chicago (he still feels guilty about that, even though he shouldn't), Laura was with the boys, and my mom was on an airplane back to Utah, I was alone with baby Georgia through this horrible experience.  It was scary, just so darn scary.  I never want to re-live that.  I'll leave out the rest of the details and just say that Christian was my absolute hero through this from the moment he burst into the ER room.  When he was nearby, my body seemed to stabilize itself better and once we both stopped sobbing, we were actually able to laugh about a few things.  We had so much help through this - the seen and the unseen.  I know my sister, Georgia was with me, I just do.  I know the prayers that were said for me worked.  I know they did.  I felt it over and over again.  One of the most touching parts of this story is how Laura, my sister in-law took Georgia home during the nights I was in the hospital and nursed her along with her own baby.  She was only one week old, and it put me at ease knowing Laura was giving her the nutrition I couldn't give her while I pumped all of those meds out of my system.  Now there is true sisterhood.  Our ward brought meals and set up playdates for the kids.  Thank you to everyone, a million times thank you!  And here are some pictures of our angel family who came to take over as the parents for our shaken family:

Paddy and Genevieve were the perfect medicine for Jack, Winfield, and Charles.  I think I only saw them a few times in three days since I slept around the clock, but they kept everyone happy, fed, and clean.  Who could ask for more?
Aunt Genny and Georgia


My mom flew back to our house just days after she got home to Utah and stepped in as my personal aide, answering the door and phone for me, making sure I was well fed, rested, and emotional stable.


Caroline took over once my mom left and had probably the most uneventful Memorial weekend of her life.  The two helped me decorate the nursery (okay, I sat and nursed while the did all of the work).  They took me out to lunch for my (and Georgia's) first outing.  We went to a quiet and relaxing tea house and had crumpets, no kidding.  
Our little sweetheart.  She is worth all of the pain.  I'd do it all again for her...just maybe not right away!

3 comments:

Carolyn Hanson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami and Aaron said...

I hope everything is ok! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Carolyn Hanson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.